An Orange County Performing Arts Center recruitment panel has decided on the center's new executive director, but negotiations could delay the contract signing for up to three weeks, center board president William Lund said Thursday.
Lund refused to name the panel-recommended candidate to succeed Len Bedsow, who is retiring as the Orange County center's chief administrator, except to say that "he's a working administrator at a major (arts) complex, like everyone else that we've interviewed in the past four months."
Final action, he said, is still subject to approval by the full board.
Although Lund said last December that the field of candidates had been narrowed to "three finalists" and a choice would be announced by mid-January, he later said that "additional candidates" were being interviewed or reconsidered.
The nationwide search was conducted by the seven-member panel headed by Lund and assisted by the Harrison Price Co. of Los Angeles and William Severns, the recently retired longtime chief administrator of the Los Angeles Music Center. The choice, Lund said, was made from a relatively "small circle" of administrators of major performing-arts complexes. "There isn't an especially large field from which to pick the best talent--this is a relatively young (administrative) field in America, you know."
According to sources close to the candidate search, among the 14 administrators approached last fall were Thomas Kendrick, operations director at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts; Wayne Shilkret, performing arts director at Ambassador Auditorium in Pasadena, and Lawrence Wilker, president of the Playhouse Square theatrical complex in Cleveland.
Bedsow, a former Los Angeles Civic Light Opera general manager, was hired four years ago as the Orange County center's first executive director. Lund said Bedsow, 67, was hired with the understanding that he would serve as chief administrator during the center's "starting-up" period but another administrator would be brought in to run the center after it opened in fall, 1986. But Bedsow last June announced he was retiring at the end of 1984.
The Orange County center, which is to have two major theaters when it's completed, is one of the largest such complexes to be built in the United States in the past decade and the only one to be fully financed by private monies. More than $60 million has been raised: $44 million of the $65.5 million needed to construct the center and $16 million for a $20-million endowment fund.
Now under construction at the South Coast Plaza Town Center site in Costa Mesa, the center's 3,000-seat main theater is scheduled to open in October, 1986.
Bedsow said the Los Angeles Philharmonic is expected to play during the first two weeks of the opening season. Other artistic organizations under "serious negotiations" are the New York City Opera Company for a six-week run in early 1987 and the American Ballet Theatre for fall of 1986 appearances.