BIRMINGHAM, England — A mother and her two daughters continued watching television while their house burned around them, firemen said today.
Firefighters in oxygen masks ran into the house through dense smoke Monday night after the father told them his family was inside.
"They found his wife and two daughters in the back room watching television through the haze," said fireman Paul Cullen. "One of the daughters was smoking a cigarette.
"The wife was coughing but I'm not sure whether that was from the smoke of the fire or from her daughter's cigarette."
Firemen removed the three women, a dog and a "big fluffy cat" without injury.