Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsBorder Area

San Diego Acts to Bar Filming of Massacre Series

March 06, 1985|From a Times Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO — Outraged that a Sherman Oaks producer is planning a miniseries based on last July's San Ysidro Massacre, officials here are taking steps to prevent that production or any like it from being made in the city.

"Film it in Fresno. Film it somewhere else but don't film it in San Ysidro!" Mayor Roger Hedgecock said Monday, referring to the border area in San Diego where gunman James Huberty opened fire inside a McDonald's restaurant and killed 21 adults and children before a police sharpshooter gunned him down.

The City Council voted Monday to protest the proposed film. On Tuesday, City Manager Ray Blair directed that no city permits be issued for any films relating to the massacre and told Police Chief Bill Kolender not to aid producer Larry Spivey in any way.

Kolender last week had said his officers would act as unpaid consulants, making sure the series did not glorify mass murderer Huberty.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|