Thirty-two people were taken to local hospitals this morning after they were evacuated from a mid-Wilshire office building after being overcome by leaking fumes. It was the second evacuation from the building in two days.
More than 300 people were forced to leave the nine-story building at 4050 Wilshire Blvd. shortly before 9 a.m. after several building employees complained of breathing difficulties, dizziness and nausea.
The building had also been evacuated Wednesday afternoon, when acetone fumes from cleaning solvents got into the ventilation system and permeated the building. Six people suffering breathing difficulties were taken to Queen of Angels Medical Center after that mishap, but all were released within hours.
Fire officials had no immediate explanation for today's problem, which appeared to be concentrated on the building's first and sixth floors.