Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

San Diego Open Will Return in 1986

April 02, 1985|STEVE DOLAN | Times Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO — Dale Antram, assistant to the commissioner of the Professional Golfers Assn., said Monday the Andy Williams-San Diego golf tournament will return in 1986.

Concern was raised over the tournament's status by a San Diego City Council committee last week. John Brophy, executive vice president of the Century Club, which runs the event, brought the matter to the committee's attention.

Brophy had a letter from the PGA stating the Torrey Pines courses were "far, far below standards expected by the PGA." Antram said the PGA commonly sends letters "trying to encourage progress" at the courses it utilizes.

"It's a situation with a city-owned facility," Antram said of Torrey Pines. "The operation has not had sufficient funds to be in top-notch condition for the tournament. That's nothing new. It has been going on for a number of years."

The San Diego City Council committee unanimously agreed to a six-point plan for improving the two Torrey Pines courses. The plan must now be approved by the entire council.

Among the suggested improvements are planting more grass on the fairways, buying more equipment and hiring additional people to work on the facility. Allocations for the repairs could be included in the 1985-86 fiscal budget that begins in July.

"I don't know of any other place we could go with the tournament," Antram said. "We'd just like more optimum conditions, which is the case throughout the country for us."

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|