YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Birthday Cake's 107 Candles Make for a Hot Party

April 07, 1985|Associated Press

PEORIA, Ill. — Ethel Simkins' 107th birthday party was such a hot time it brought the Fire Department to her nursing home after the candles on her cake set off the alarm.

Peoria Fire Department officials said last week that the alarm at the Buehler Home went off because of the heat generated by the 107 candles on Simkins' birthday cake.

"It was unbelievable," said Battalion Chief Paul Thornton. "It was very humorous. I've been with the Fire Department over 33 years, and that's the first time I ever saw anything like that."

Dorothy Fahlberg, the nursing home superintendent, said the candles were on a dinner-plate sized cake that apparently was placed too near the heat-sensor alarm. When the alarm goes off at the home, it automatically rings at the Fire Department, she said.

No one was evacuated from the home.

The firefighters were unable to stay for cake, but they congratulated the guest of honor and offered her a little advice.

"I shook her hands and told her, 'Young lady, you've got to quit pulling these fire alarms,' " Thornton said.

Simkins, who has resided at the home for about 30 years, spent the rest of the day quietly.

Los Angeles Times Articles