Ground breaking ceremonies were held this week for the new Lugo Plaza shopping center, a $2-plus-million retail and officefacility on a 1.32-acre site at the southwest corner of Slauson Avenue and Pacific Boulevard in Huntington Park.
The center will be anchored by the historic Lugo Adobe, a two-story Monterey-style building which was built in 1849 as headquarters for El Rancho San Antonio, a 29,513-acre Spanish land grant that was later carved up to make the cities of Bell, Huntington Park, Maywood, South Gate and others.
Completion of the retail and office facility is scheduled for September, according to Frederick J. Stemmler, managing partner of Watson & Associates, developer of Seal Beach.
The Lugo adobe building, presently at Bell, will be moved to its new location in August. When opened, the 2,000-square-foot structure will house a restaurant.