YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsWarriors


Warriors to Get $850,000 From Kings' Move

May 10, 1985

The Sacramento Kings will pay the Golden State Warriors $850,000 over the next five years for moving from Kansas City into an area that was once part of the Warriors' territory. The agreement, which was made before a National Basketball Assn. committee approved the move of the Kings to Sacramento, includes paying the Warriors $100,000 each for five exhibition games and purchasing $70,000 worth of Warriors' tickets for each of the next five seasons.

The committee approved the move April 3, but details of the agreement were not known until Thursday. The Sacramento Bee learned of the agreement though attorneys for the Los Angeles Clippers, who subpoenaed the NBA committee's special report on the Kings' move for use in the continuing litigation between the Clippers and the NBA.

Brian Hurst, a co-owner of Eternal Prince, 12th-place finisher in last Saturday's Kentucky Derby, said Thursday that Chris McCarron has been named to replace Richard Migliore as jockey for the colt's next start, the May 18 Preakness. Hurst denied reports that New York Yankee owner George Steinbrenner, a part owner of Eternal Prince, had made the decision to fire Migliore.

Lights will be added at the Metrodome in Minnesota to illuminate the gray fabric ceiling, director Jerry Bell said. He added, however, that the decision to add the lighting had nothing to do with the New York Yankees' protest of the previous night. Bell said that the contract for the new lights was signed two weeks ago. The $100,000 project should be completed by the All-Star Game July 16.

Willie Aikens was waived by the Toronto Blue Jays. Aikens, used sparingly this year, was batting .200 with just four hits--one a home run--and five runs batted in. He was reported to be headed for Baltimore to discuss his future with his agent, Ron Shapiro, and to decide if he should accept demotion to the minor leagues and continue playing. The Blue Jays had acquired him last year from the Kansas City Royals while he was still under suspension and serving a jail sentence for drug-related offenses.

Lewis-Clark State College has anceled the remaining three regular-season baseball games to punish players who attacked hecklers following a game with Washington State University, President Lee Vickers said.

While saying the team's reaction to alleged racial, sexual and obscene slurs shouted by spectators at Tuesday's game was "understandable," Vickers said he would cancel the games to discpline the team.

Vickers ordered Athletic Director Dick Hannan to cancel two games with WSU, next Wednesday in Pullman and May 22 at Lewiston, and a game next Tuesday against Gonzaga University in Lewiston.

The Warriors will still play host to the National Assn. of Intercollegiate Athletics World Series May 27-June 2, Vickers said.

Hannan acknowledged that an undetermined number of players carried bats into the stands. But Hannan maintains that no players hit any spectators with the bats, a statement that has been contradicted by witnesses.

Six WSU students, half of them members of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, were treated after the game for bruises, cuts and minor injuries at Memorial Hospital and were released. The incident is under investigation by both the WSU and Lewiston police departments. Officers have declined comment. No arrests have been made.

Three investors in the defunct Washington Federals are accusing the football team's founder of bilking 45 limited partners of $3 million when the United States Football League team was sold and moved to Orlando, Fla. In a class-action suit filed in District of Columbia superior court, Robert Understein, Robert Manfuso and John Kirlin are demanding $100,000 in compensatory damages and $6 million in punitive damages from lawyer Berl Bernhard, who owned the team during its two years in Washington.

Bonita Fitzgerald, gold medalist in the 100-meter hurdles at the 1984 Olympic Games, and Roger Kingdom, gold medalist in the 110-meter high hurdles, will compete in the UCLA-Pepsi Invitational track meet Saturday, May 18, at Drake Stadium, bringing the total of gold medalists competing to 17.

Derrick Gervin, younger brother of George Gervin and a 6-foot 8-inch forward from the University of Texas at San Antonio, joined the list of undergraduates applying for the NBA draft. Twelve underclassmen are available for selection in Sunday's seven-team lottery among the teams that failed to qualify for the playoffs, or the June 18 draft for the entire league.

Gervin, who was on scholastic probation last season, said that if he did not have a 2.0 grade-point average this semester, he would have had to sit out a year. Grades are not due until until after Saturday's deadline for filing with the league. But, Gervin said: "There was some question concerning my academic status. It was time for me to make a move."

Los Angeles Times Articles