A newly renovated section of the Santa Monica Mall has opened at 1316 3rd St.
Designed by Matlin & Dvoretzky, Architects, of Santa Monica, the $500,000 project represents what its promoters call "a continued effort to revitalize what was once called the Third Street Pedestrian Mall."
The 13,925-square-foot project involved a warehouse built in 1935, which was completely gutted and then linked to the Santa Monica city parking structures by way of an entrance in an alley. Previously subdivided into three stores, the structure will now house seven tenants in offices and stores and an eighth tenant, Cafe de Mago, which is a specialty restaurant.
Walter N. Marks is owner and developer of the project, and Norman Shapiro was the general contractor.