The Los Angeles Department of Animal Regulation offers these suggestions for dealing with coyotes:
- Do not feed coyotes or leave pet food outside.
- Do not try to pick up or pet a coyote.
- Keep garbage cans covered tightly.
- Do not let dogs loose without a leash.
- Build fences or walls to protect your pets and have good lighting in your back yard.
- Be careful in any area where coyotes have been sighted.
If you live in the foothills or canyons:
- Watch very small children when they are playing outside.
- Keep an eye on small dogs or cats when they are outside. Keep them in doors at night.