YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Avoiding the World's Trouble Spots

September 08, 1985|ERIC FRIEDHEIM | Friedheim is editor-publisher of Travel Agent magazine.

Question: On our round-the-world trip we want to avoid trouble spots. Where can we obtain the most up-to-date information?

Answer: Contact the State Department Citizens Emergency Center, (202) 632-5225 for current travel advisories that urge Americans to avoid hazardous areas.

Q: Are there any tolls on the Overseas Highway that one takes through the Florida Keys?

A: It is a toll-free road.

Q: I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong and would like to buy clothing there. Can I ship it home as part of the duty-free exemption I get when I return?

A: Only goods with you at the time of your arrival in the United States can be claimed under this exemption.

Q: Is the famous British Royal Scotsman train still in service?

A: It's now operated as a deluxe tour train in Scotland on three- and six-day all-expense itineraries, starting at $1,160 per person. Contact your agent or AutoVenture, 920 Logan Building, Seattle, Wash. 98101, phone (800) 426-7502.

Q: We're interested in a horseback tour of Kauai. Is it possible to take young children with minimum riding experience?

A: High Gates Ranch offers one- to three-hour tours and gives lessons to novices and children. Call (808) 822-3182 in Kauai or get information from your hotel.

Q: I have been told by an airline that my child's automobile infant seat can't be used on the plane. Why is this?

A: Most but not all airlines will allow the use of these seats while airborne, but not during takeoff and landing. During an emergency it could be difficult to get the child out of the seat.

Q: Does the free insurance you receive when buying an air ticket on a credit card cover me when renting a car?

A: The insurance covers only travel by public ground conveyance such as taxi, bus, limo, train, etc., but not car rentals. You can buy insurance from the rental firms, or your own auto insurance may cover a rental car.

Q: I understand that I can get discounts on hotels, cars and stores in Yugoslavia if I pay with dinar checks. Can any unused checks be reconverted to dollars?

A: Unused checks are easily reconverted to dollars (or other currencies) at border crossings and exchange offices in banks.

Los Angeles Times Articles