Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Chemical Vapors Kill Five Czech Workers

September 15, 1985|Associated Press

PRAGUE, Czechoslovakia — Five factory workers died after being exposed to the hot vapors of burning waste at a chemical plant in Slovakia, the Slovak Communist Party daily Pravda reported.

A sixth worker was reported in critical condition in a hospital at Kosice. Pravda said the accident was caused by the malfunctioning pressure valve of a boiler.

The men were burning used overalls of fellow workers at the Chemko Stazske factory when they were hit by an outburst of vapor and waste products. They suffered serious burns.

The Mlada Fronta newspaper said that although the Sept. 4 accident is still being investigated, it is clear that the workers neglected safety rules.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|