Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

High School Football Today

September 27, 1985

Cleveland vs. Canoga Park

At Canoga Park 8 p.m.

Both schools recorded shutouts in their openers. Cleveland beat Chatsworth, 20-0, and Canoga Park downed El Camino Real, 21-0. Kenny Durr supplied all of Canoga's points, rushing for one touchdown and catching a pair of Tony Cantrell passes for two more TDs. The Hunters limited El Camino to 81 yards. Canoga Park Coach Ed McCarthy said he was pleasantly surprised by his defense, which has three sophomores and three juniors. The squad is led by safety Junior Delgado, who had two interceptions last week. Cleveland, under Coach Steve Landress, limited Chatsworth to 185 yards last week. On offense, the Cavaliers are led by 5-9, 150-pound junior Elliot Franks, who last week rushed for 122 yards on eight carries.

Alemany vs. Hart

At College of the Canyons 7:30 p.m.

For the first time this season, Hart Coach Rick Scott is expecting to have a completely healthy team. Greg Felan, an offensive guard and defensive tackle, will play in a game for the first time since knee surgery in the summer. Mike Holden, a starter at wide receiver and linebacker, missed last week's 28-18 loss to Santa Barbara with a tender knee. Holden will play, as will fullback Brian Baie, who injured an elbow against Santa Barbara. John Libby, a tight end and linebacker, played last week with the flu. "With those four back, we figure to be better," said Scott, whose Indians are 0-2 on the season. Alemany is 2-0 with two shutouts. Alemany defeated St. Genevieve, 23-0, last week, as nose guard David Montes recorded four sacks. The 5-6, 180-pound Montes has six sacks in two games.

Simi Valley vs. Agoura

At Agoura 7:30 p.m.

After having its 14-game win streak snapped in a season-opening loss to Newbury Park (15-14), Agoura rebounded with a 33-6 pounding of Oak Park. Brock Hoffman rushed 11 times for 152 yards and two touchdowns. He has four touchdowns in two games to lead the Chargers, rated fifth in the Coastal Conference. Defensively, Agoura stuffed Oak Park at the one-yard line in the second quarter and had a shutout going until the final minutes of the game. Simi Valley is 2-0 after Andrew Mazzare's 28-yard field goal in the third quarter stood as the game-winner in a 10-7 victory over Palmdale last week. The Scorpions are led by a defense that scored their only touchdown against Palmdale. It came on an 88-yard interception return by M. J. Nelson.

Monroe vs. Reseda

At Reseda 8 p.m.

Both teams are coming off victories in their season openers. Reseda defeated Birmingham, 15-7, while Monroe got by Sylmar, 24-21. Monroe, which won the Sunset League championship last season, escaped with a victory when Barry Thomas caught a seven-yard touchdown pass with 37 seconds left against the Spartans. Thomas, an All-City defensive back last season, caught five passes for 79 yards and two scores against Sylmar. Before the season Monroe Coach Howard Reisbord said, "We really have to be able to throw the ball." Monroe quarterback Robert Harding responded in the opener with 10 completions in 23 attempts for 169 yards and three touchdowns. His last one was the game-winner to Thomas.

Granada Hills vs. Chatsworth

At Chatsworth 8 p.m.

"We didn't do a very good job against the run last week," Chatsworth Coach Myron Gibford said. "And Granada Hills runs the ball well." Chatsworth dropped its season-opener to Cleveland, 20-0, as the Chancellors gave up 259 yards rushing. Granada Hills opened the Darryl Stroh Era with a 23-13 win over San Pedro. The Highlanders, who collected 234 yards on the ground, were led by Kahlid Ali, a junior who carried the ball 13 times for 169 yards. Ali also had a 50-yard touchdown run. "We were very, very pleased with our play last week," said Stroh, who won his first game as a varsity coach. "We didn't look good at all in our scrimmage against Wilson. But we made some adjustments in our blocking schemes, and things turned around."

El Camino Real vs. Taft

At Taft 8 p.m.

"We're very pleased with the way we played last week," Taft Coach Tom Stevenson said. "We know El Camino is a young team, but it will be an emotional game and those kinds of games are tough to predict. We'll have to play real well to win. We'll have to earn it. They have a good program and we respect them. We hope to pass 60% of the time and run the other 40%, but Kevin Wolfe has been running so well lately, we may run more." Last week, Taft beat Grant, 41-8. Meanwhile, El Camino was pounded by Canoga Park, 21-0. "We have so much to improve on," said El Camino Coach Skip Giancanelli. "We made too many mistakes last week. We are so inexperienced. We need game experience. I don't know how we will do. It should be a good game."

Santa Clara at Rio Mesa

At Rio Mesa 7:30 p.m.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|