George E. Platt may not have been the first to deliver milk to Los Angeles residents, but his small dairy with only one cow, founded in 1884 at Beaudry and 3rd streets, became an important early link to the Southland's position of leadership in the California's dairy industry.
It also became a distant relative of the Knudsen Corp. by virtue of the latter's recent $50-million acquisition of the Foremost dairies, expanding Knudsen's territory by an added 10 states.
The stories of George Platt and Tom Knudsen bear considerable similarity. Both had humble beginnings, both made wise real estate acquisitions, both settled in Los Angeles. Knudsen, a Danish immigrant, started out in Long Island and in 1914 came to Los Angeles with his brother Carl and brought with him special cultures to produce unheard-of skim milk by-products.
By then, due to rapid development and rising land values in downtown Los Angeles, Platt had moved his operation farther out to two other locations--first to Florence in south central Los Angeles, then to Boyle Heights in the city's eastern hills.