A year-old investigation into allegations of missing equipment owned by the Orange Unified School District "is still continuing" and no deadline has been set for completion, Supt. Kenneth Brummel said Monday.
Brummel said information on the status on the investigation was contained in a letter from Orange County Deputy Dist. Atty. Maurice Evans in answer to a request made by the board on Oct. 3.
"This will at least allow the public to know that we in no way are trying to hold up the investigation," school board President Eleanore Pleines said. She said the board wanted to make the public aware of investigation results if they were available before the Nov. 3. election. Pleines is not running for reelection.
Brummel noted that there were "rumors" in the community that the school board had been delaying the investigation and that some people had stated as much at board meetings. "We've turned all our information over to the police," he said, adding that he feels there has been "no attempt whatsoever" to interfere with work by the police or Evans.