Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

San Diego County Digest

Countywide

December 17, 1985

Vons markets in San Diego County cleared their shelves of Slim Price bottled water Monday after an El Cajon woman became ill seconds after drinking some of the water, police and Vons officials said.

The 35-year-old woman, whom police did not identify, was hospitalized Monday night after she drank from a bottle of water that had apparently been contaminated with bleach, El Cajon Police Lt. J.R. Livingstone said.

Livingstone said the woman bought the water Sunday at a Vons market on Magnolia Avenue in El Cajon. She opened it Monday evening and, after taking three sips, she had trouble breathing and had a burning sensation in her mouth and throat. She recovered enough to be able to call paramedics, who took her to Grossmont Hospital, where she was reported in good condition.

Steve Newbern, night manager at the Magnolia Avenue Vons, said store officials did not know whether the incident was related to the strike against the store by meatcutters and truckers. He said the company's quality assurance department was investigating.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|