A Superior Court judge has blocked distribution of about $500,000 to adult victims of the 1984 massacre at a McDonald's restaurant in San Ysidro at the urging of some of the victims, who have challenged the formula for making the payments.
San Diego Superior Court Judge Mack P. Lovett issued a restraining order last week at the request of David Korrey, attorney for 25 victims of the massacre, who wants the San Ysidro Family Survivors Fund to retain some of its assets to pay victims' future medical costs.
The fund was established by Joan Kroc, widow of McDonald's Corp. founder Ray Kroc, and several associates to assist survivors of the July, 1984, shooting spree in which James Huberty killed 21 people before he was shot to death by police.
Guillermo Marrero, attorney for the fund, said "as a matter of principle" the fund would fight attempts to challenge the criteria that have been established to distribute the funds. Donations reportedly totaled more than $1.5 million.
The fund had planned to pay $500,000 to adult survivors of the massacre this week, based on medical costs and other factors. Lovett scheduled a hearing on the dispute for Tuesday, which attorneys said could allow a distribution of some of the money before Christmas.