The dome of Pasadena City Hall, dark since the blackout days of World War II, was relighted this week as part of the city's celebration to kick off 1986, the year Pasadena celebrates its 100th birthday. City Hall's exterior was lighted by floodlights and searchlights from the time the building opened in 1927 until the nationwide blackout of World War II, when those lights were extinguished and the equipment buried.
The 206-foot-high dome is now illuminated by a 1,000-watt lamp about the size of a car headlight. New floodlights also have been installed to highlight the courtyard and fountain of City Hall.
Pasadena marked the beginning of its centennial celebration with a horse-drawn carriage in the Tournament of Roses Parade that carried the members of the Board of City Directors.