A fire caused by malfunctioning Christmas tree lights destroyed a condominium Saturday and damaged two adjacent dwellings, an Orange County Fire Department official said.
The electrical fire erupted at 10:30 a.m. when an occupant of the condominium at 1680 Sherwood Village Circle plugged in the lights, quickly igniting a dry Christmas tree, according to Fire Department spokesman David Pierce. Susan Thomas, who lives in the apartment, fled the building and called the Fire Department from a neighbor's home, he said.
None of the occupants of the three apartments were injured, and firefighters took 25 minutes to control the blaze, Pierce said.
Four of the 32 firefighters who fought the blaze were injured. Two were treated at the scene, and two were treated for smoke inhalation and released from Placentia Linda Community Hospital, Pierce said.