A blind man, who said his eyesight could have been saved if emergency room physicians had not delayed treatment, won a $750,000 judgment Tuesday in a lawsuit against a Pomona hospital.
After the jury verdict was announced in Pomona Superior Court, Walter Lee Johnson, 36, said that "I thought my heart was going to jump out." His pupils were burned away in September, 1979, after acid was thrown in his face. "What happens now? Back to school to try to get my Braille together."
Johnson had testified during the trial that he had been left lying on a gurney as long as 20 minutes at Pomona Valley Community Hospital before his eyes were flushed with water, a treatment that his attorney claimed may have spared all or part of his eyesight if it had been given immediately.
'An Orange, Fiery Color'
"As I lay there I saw my eyesight leave my body," Johnson recalled after the trial. "The last color I remember seeing was like an eclipse of the moon--an orange, fiery color."