The Los Angeles County district attorney's office has filed a murder charge against 17-year-old Sharhon Charles Wynne and sought to have the Compton youth tried as an adult in the shooting death of Billy Joe Carter, 32, Long Beach.
Deputy Dist. Atty. Donald Jakubowski--who is legally prohibited from naming juvenile suspects--said he could only confirm that a youth was formally accused Monday in the Dec. 10 slaying, which reportedly stemmed from a narcotics transaction. During his arraignment, the youth pleaded innocent.
Wynne was arrested on suspicion of murder during a raid last week by Compton police. Three other suspects sought at the time apparently will not be charged, Compton Detective Preston Harris said.
According to police, Carter was killed at about 10:40 p.m. after pulling his 1968 Oldsmobile into an alley off Dwight Avenue near 152nd Street. He sat behind the wheel, with the engine idling, as several men approached. One suddenly raised an M-1 rifle and fired into the window, striking Carter in the chest, police said. The investigation gained speed when police received an anonymous letter, naming names and suggesting motives, from someone who explained, "I cannot come forward. . . . I don't want to be gunned down."