Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Makeup Man to Be Charged With Murder in Bomb Deaths

February 12, 1986|PAUL FELDMAN and TERRY PRISTIN | Times Staff Writers

First-degree murder charges were to be filed today against film and television makeup man Donald Lee Morse in connection with the pipe bomb explosion that killed two veteran police demolition experts last weekend, the district attorney's office said.

Morse, 36, could face the death penalty if convicted of the murders of Detective Arleigh McCree, 46, commander of the Los Angeles Police Department's bomb squad, and Officer Ron Ball, 43, authorities said.

The two were killed as they attempted to defuse a bomb police found in the garage of Morse's North Hollywood home as they were searching the house for a gun they believed was used in the shooting last week of Howard Smit, 74, business manager of the Makeup Artists and Hairstylists Union Local 706.

Morse has not been charged in that case, though authorities said he is still a suspect.

No charges were filed against Morse's brother, Alvin, 34, and sister, Ernestine Enock , 39, who were also arrested after the explosion. They were to be released today, but remain under investigation as active suspects in the bomb blast deaths, authorities said.

Morse is due to be arraigned this afternoon.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|