Fire Damages Apartment: An apartment fire started by a burning candle caused about $10,000 damage before firefighters could put it out early Thursday. Firefighters found flames throughout the apartment at 1900 N. Spurgeon St. when they responded. It took about 14 minutes to extinguish the blaze, fire officials said. The candle, left burning on a night table, ignited a lamp shade to start the fire. The lone female occupant managed to escape uninjured before the flames spread, and the only injury was a slight back strain suffered by a firefighter.