YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

In CIF Finals, Valley Teams Are a Memory

March 07, 1986|STEVE HENSON | Times Staff Writer

The Simi Valley High basketball team is aptly nicknamed. The Pioneers are attempting to cross a parched desert where only Scorpions have previously survived.

Those Scorpions from Camarillo High are the only Valley-area team to win a basketball title in the Southern Section 4-A, 3-A or 2-A since championships were first contested in 1915. Camarillo won the 3-A title in 1972.

Simi Valley meets Muir in the Sports Arena on Saturday at 7 p.m. for the 4-A championship.

Cleveland will venture into similarly uncharted territory when it meets Crenshaw tonight at 7 p.m. in the Sports Arena for the City Section 4-A final.

Valley teams have treated the City 4-A final like that other Cleveland treats the National Basketball Assn. final. They have found numerous excuses to avoid making the trip.

Since the City split into 4-A and 3-A divisions in 1976, no Valley team reached the 4-A final until this season. Six of 10 finals in the 3-A have been won by Valley teams. Valley teams have lost 14 times in City and Southern Section finals, beginning with Van Nuys' 10-6 loss to Fillmore in 1926.

Before 1976, only two Valley teams captured City titles. Granada Hills capped an 18-0 season with a championship in 1964, and Polytechnic won it in 1961.

Poly beat Manual Arts, 52-37, behind guard Gail Goodrich, who was City Player of the Year. Granada Hills defeated Roosevelt, 71-68, despite having four starters foul out. And in 1972, Camarillo beat El Modena, 73-71, in overtime after blowing a last-minute lead.

Although Poly, with a record of 16-3, was not favored to reach the final, the Parrots had an easy time with Manual Arts. Burton said the team's dedication enabled it to over achieve.

In fact, the dedication bordered on being criminal.

"These kids were not the least bit stupid," Burton recalled. "They used a coat hanger to get into the gym when it was locked on weekends. And they made themselves a key to turn on the lights.

"It was the type of team you had to keep from working too much. They were out of their minds."

Goodrich hurt an ankle in the third quarter of the final, but returned in the fourth.

"Our football coaches in the stands were going crazy because they could tape an ankle in minutes, and this doctor was taking his sweet time," Burton said. "The next day, X-rays showed the ankle was cracked."

The game was played at Cal State L.A. with the stands full and fans lining the walls of the gym. "It was a sweatbox," Burton recalled.

Goodrich quarterbacked Poly's deliberate, patterned offense to perfection. "Gail was the greatest pressure guy you ever saw," Burton said.

"Manual Arts switched from a man-to-man into a box-and-one on Goodrich," he added, "which we had never played against. The first time they switched to the box, Gail dribbled in, dribbled back out, called time out and said 'Coach, they're in a box-and-one.'

"I thought to myself, 'What do they need me for?' "

Burton, now retired, was a disciple of John Wooden. And he was necessary, according to Al Richards, who has coached football and swimming at Poly since the school opened.

"Nellie was a disciplinarian," Richards said. "He was well-skilled in basic techniques and extremely hard-working. The team reflected those values.

"You could always tell when he was angry. His neck would get redder and redder. He's bald, and when the red line got past his ears, you knew somebody was in trouble."

Said Burton: "I spent hours and hours with John Wooden and Pete Newell. A bunch of us would get them to start talking and they'd be great. Newell was a defensive advocate and Wooden liked to talk offense. They're both man-to-man all the way. We used a lot of Wooden's warm-up drills."

Camarillo used another method to warm up for its final, according to John McMullen, who coached the Scorpion championship team and now coaches at Santa Monica College.

"I always insisted that the team keep its mind on basketball and not on girls," McMullen said. "We had a reunion in 1982, and they told me that the night before the championship game they were all out at Point Mugu, parked with their girlfriends."

The team that dated together played together.

"The beauty of the team was that we did it without major college talent," McMullen said. "It was a very cohesive unit."

Sixth man Mike Parrott was the only member of the team to go on to play professional ball--but he did it in baseball.

Camarillo, which had a 28-3 record, had won 13 games by three points or less, so the players weren't flustered when the final went into overtime.

"I remember looking at that big clock overhead with six seconds left in the game and the score tied," McMullen said. "Fred Huston, an all-CIFer, sort of panicked and shot from half court with five seconds to go. We exchanged dirty looks, then said, 'Let's get it going.' We took command in overtime."

Four thousand Camarillo fans made the trip to the Sports Arena (attendance was 9,500), and the Camarillo Chamber of Commerce sponsored a ceremony for the team the next day.

Los Angeles Times Articles