The $5-million rehabilitation of the historic W.H. Spurgeon Building will be celebrated with a grand reopening in downtown Santa Ana in mid-March.
With its distinctive clock tower and white glazed-brick exterior, the four-story, 50,000-square-foot building has been an Orange County landmark since its construction in 1913 at 4th and Sycamore streets by William H. Spurgeon, the founder of Santa Ana.
The rehabilitation of the building was accomplished under the city's redevelopment program by Chiang Meehan Properties, a Santa Ana-based development firm that has rehabilitated six other buildings in downtown Santa Ana.
Heritage Orange County, a historic preservation organization, provided technical expertise for the rehabilitation, according to partners Dick Chiang and Jay Meehan. They purchased the building last March when it was in danger of being demolished as part of Santa Ana's downtown redevelopment program.