Federico Fellini has reacted with surprise to an $8-million suit filed by Ginger Rogers in New York last month to block release of "Ginger and Fred."
He has suggested that the actress has either not seen the film or has been given "the wrong advice" by her lawyers, according to a spokesman, who added that the director considers the film an "homage" to the world that Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire represented.
The film's producer, Alberto Grimaldi, has said the title "is a form of compliment."
A spokesman for MGM, distributor of the film, said the company would have no comment.
Rogers' suit charges that the film is an illegal attempt to take advantage of the fame of the Rogers and Astaire team. The film, which opens next Friday in Los Angeles, has been playing in New York since last Friday.