Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Newsweek Staffer Says S. Africa Has Ordered Him Out

June 23, 1986|Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa — The South Africa bureau chief for Newsweek magazine said today that the government has ordered him to leave the country by midnight Thursday.

Richard Manning, who has been stationed in Johannesburg for nine months, said he received a telex from the government informing him of the order and saying he had until 10 a.m. Thursday to make any appeals.

Manning, 35, said the statement gave no reason for the order.

Last week's issue of Newsweek was not shipped to South Africa from Europe after the government told the South African distributor to seek legal advice on whether the contents of its cover story about the country violated state-of-emergency restrictions on the news media.

Manning, an American, became the second foreign journalist ordered expelled since the state of emergency was declared June 12.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|