YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Ferry Between Countries Is Resumed

August 10, 1986|ERIC FRIEDHEIM | Friedheim is editor/publisher of Travel Agent magazine. and

Question: Are there passenger sailing services between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic?

Answer: Ferry services have been renewed between the two countries. The trip costs about $40 one way and cars are carried for $39.

Q: Which large colleges have rooms for tourists during summertime?

A: Various campus locations are available throughout the country. Directory of On-Campus Lodgings for Tourists, Box 27, Indian River, Mich. 49749, for $8 lists such accommodations in various states.

Q: Do airlines charge extra for special diets served aloft?

A: Most carriers, both domestic and international, have special menus of a health, religious, juvenile or regional nature all available at no extra cost. Advance notice must be given, preferably at time of booking but often no later than 24 hours prior to departure.

Question: During our California auto trip we'd like to ride some of the old railroads still in operation. Where are they located?

Answer: California has several historic train services operating for short distances. They include Felton, Fish Camp (near Yosemite National Park), Fort Bragg, Perris (near Riverside), Portola (50 miles northwest of Reno), Rio Vista Junction, Sacramento and Sonoma.

Q: Has the government published a new official guide to help airline passengers?

A: "Fly Rights," a 32-page Department of Transportation booklet, covers bumping regulations, baggage liability, smoking, how to shop for fares, airline safety, reservation and ticketing rules. Send $1 to Department 165-P, Consumer Information Center, Pueblo, Colo. 81009.

Q: I've heard about cross-country helicopter tours in France. Where do they go and how do you book?

A: Three- to seven-day helicopter trips from Paris to the wine country and other areas, using chateaux for accommodations, are operated through October. Cost is $1,000 a day including meals. Contact your agent or Hemphill Harris, 16000 Ventura Blvd., Encino 91436.

Q: You said recently that American visitors to Cuba were forbidden to bring back Cuban cigars. Don't the rules say you can bring back up to 100?

A: That's correct if you've bought them in Cuba. If you bring back Cuban products purchased elsewhere, they can be confiscated by U.S. Customs.

Q: All the cruises seem to be seven and 14 days. Are there any that don't extend through one or two full weekends?

A: Many shorter voyages are available on popular cruise routes, and during all seasons. Your agent has details.

Q: On our forthcoming trips to several cities we'd like to obtain seats at local theater and opera performances. Is there a calendar of events and source for advance bookings?

A: A national reservations network for theatrical, musical and sports events is available at Ticketron outlets. There is a moderate broker's fee. Contact Ticketron, 1350 Avenue of the Americas, New York, N.Y. 10019.

Q: We want to drive on our New Zealand vacation . What are road conditions and are rentals available?

A: Though without freeways, New Zealand highways are in good condition. Driving is on the left and major car rental firms have facilities in all the larger cities and towns. Contact the New Zealand Government Tourist Office, 10960 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1530, Los Angeles 90024, phone (213) 477-8241.

Los Angeles Times Articles