Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

S. African Attack Reported by Angola

August 12, 1986|From Reuters

LISBON — Angola's Defense Ministry said Monday that South African troops attacked the strategic town of Cuito Cuanavale about 185 miles inside southeast Angola on Sunday.

A ministry statement quoted Monday by the official Angolan news agency ANGOP said the South African 32 "Buffalo" Battalion backed by heavy artillery attacked Angolan forces and shelled Cuito Cuanavale in southeastern Cuando Cubango province.

There were no details of casualties.

Angola's UNITA (National Union for the Total Independence of Angola) rebels said earlier that their forces had attacked Cuito Cuanavale last Saturday night.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|