MANILA — Masked men wearing military fatigues barged into a house in the nearby fishing town of Navatos on Monday and shot to death eight people attending a wake, the official Philippine News Agency said. Ten other mourners were wounded.
The news agency said the men arrived in a jeep at the wake for Romeo Billones, ordered the mourners to line up and sprayed them with automatic gunfire. Billones was described by the news agency as a holdup suspect. His body was found last week in Navotas, and police theorized that he might have been executed by a criminal gang, the news agency said. The motive for Monday's massacre was not immediately known.