YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Tips to Homeowners

September 07, 1986|Armand L. Fontaine

Question: I have a very high ceiling in my living room that tends to hold an excessive amount of heat. I have installed a paddle fan, but it just seems to push the heat down into the room and puts a great deal of strain on my air conditioner. What can I do?

Answer: You might consider an operating skylight or a remote-control vent window to provide an outlet for this heat. An open-air skylight would allow the heat to escape through your ceiling.

Several manufacturers have advertised skylights that can be opened electronically. Anderson Window Products of Bayport, Minn. has such a unit. I would strongly recommend that you have the installation performed by a qualified person to avoid the risk of roof leaks.

Q: Can you tell us what are the leading remodeling and home improvement areas in the United States?

A: According to Remodeling Magazine, the largest remodeling volume in 1985 was done in Los Angeles, with a total volume of $611 million, followed by Washington, D.C., with $217 million.

Other California cities were San Francisco, 4th, with $158 million; Anaheim, 11th, with $121 million; Oakland, 14th, with $115 million; San Diego, 16th, with $108 million; Riverside, 18th, with $104 million; San Jose, 26th, with $75 million, and Sacramento, 29th, with $66 million.

The largest-home improvement contractor in the Los Angeles area is Pacific Builders in Torrance. The stated volume for the 1985 year was slightly in excess of $5.5 million.

Q: I am interested in having a home improvement project done, however, I would like to get a model contract form before calling a contractor. Where can I get such a form?

A: You can write for one to the American Building Contractors Assn., 11100 Valley Blvd., Suite 120, El Monte 91731. The cost is 35 cents plus tax and postage for a total of 59 cents.

Los Angeles Times Articles