MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Two methane fires in recent days have led fire officials to warn that part of the Shoreline Amphitheater may be closed.
The officials warned Monday that methane gas leaking from old dump land was causing a continuing fire danger.
"I would have to be absolutely assured that the lawn-seating area is safe before I will allow anybody to go in there," said acting Fire Chief Hugh Holden. "We'll be monitoring it right up to show time."
Fire investigators said that the methane fire that broke out Sunday night at a Manhattan Transfer concert was extinguished quickly by spectators with a blanket. A fire was also reported at a Shoreline concert last week.
The next concert at the new amphitheater is scheduled Thursday night, featuring jazz guitarist George Benson.