Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSales

'Nickleby' Due To Close Early

September 11, 1986| From United Press International

NEW YORK — "Nicholas Nickleby," the $100-a-ticket Broadway revival billed as "the theatrical event of the century," will close Sept. 28.

The British import was a smash hit in its first run on Broadway in 1981, selling out for the full 14 weeks of its limited run. It reopened at the Broadhurst Theater Aug. 24 with a new cast for a run scheduled to end Nov. 15.

Despite favorable reviews, the show took in only $210,000 during its first week against a break-even figure of more than $300,000, and sales have been declining since. Last week's ticket sales were only 47% of the theater's capacity.

Marc Thibodeau, a spokesman for the show, said there was just a chance the closing notice would be lifted "if business picks up."

A projected post-Broadway American tour of "Nicholas" now looks unlikely, Thibodeau said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|