Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Charges Unlikely in Shooting of Alleged Intruder, Police Say

September 25, 1986

Glendale police said Wednesday that no charges are expected to be filed against a Neighborhood Watch block commander who police said shot and wounded an intruder in the yard of his Glendale home last week.

Donald John Hoover Jr., a 41-year-old private security guard, was arrested Sept. 16 on suspicion of attempted murder in the shooting. He was released from jail two days later.

Police said they are asking that trespassing and prowling charges be filed against the wounded suspect, Gustavo Adolpho Barrera, 24, of Los Angeles, who was released Tuesday from County-USC Medical Center, where he was treated for a gunshot wound in the chest.

The district attorney's office reported Wednesday that no action had been taken against either man, pending further investigation.

In an interview this week, Hoover said he had aimed his .38-caliber handgun and ordered the suspect to lie on the ground. He said he was attempting to handcuff the man when a struggle for the gun began.

"It scared me," he said of the late-night incident. "I could have been shot myself. I will be a lot more careful in the future."

Hoover said his advice to neighbors in a similar situation is: "Just call 911 and let the police handle it."

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|