Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

The World : Sandinista Pullback Told

November 03, 1986

Nicaraguan soldiers who had pursued contras across the border into Honduras have withdrawn, rebel and Honduran military sources said. They said heavy fighting continued inside Nicaragua. In Tegucigalpa, Honduras, a spokesman for the U.S.-backed guerrillas said they had killed at least 370 soldiers since the Sandinistas entered Honduras on Friday. "There are also hundreds of wounded among the Sandinistas," he said. He did not give the number of rebel casualties. Nicaragua's leftist Sandinistas offered no new information on the fighting, which they insist has been strictly within Nicaragua, but President Daniel Ortega said a day earlier that 80 contras had been killed.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|