The continued use of radar on Kanan Dume Road has been approved by the county Board of Supervisors after the California Highway Patrol reported that a temporary radar program has reduced injuries and fatalities on the accident-plagued roadway.
Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich said a radar pilot program, in effect since late 1985, has reduced vehicle speeds and the severity of accidents, although the number of minor accidents did not drop.
The board voted 4 to 0 Tuesday to continue the radar program, with Supervisor Pete Schabarum absent.
Under the enforcement program, 1,967 people were issued tickets and 836 were given oral warnings.
Antonovich cited a report from the California Highway Patrol which showed that from November, 1985, through last month, there were 10 accidents in which injuries occurred and no fatalities.
During the same period in 1984-1985 there were 13 injury accidents. Two additional accidents in that period involved fatalities.
Antonovich also said that vehicle speeds--which were recorded on tickets issued along the road, posted for 50 m.p.h.--dropped dramatically. Ticketed speeds averaged 61 m.p.h. during the most recent 12-month period, compared to 67 m.p.h. during the same period last year, he said.