Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Orange County Digest

Anaheim : City Denies Angelo's Rehearing on Operation

January 21, 1987|Roxana Kopetman

The City Council on Tuesday denied a request by Angelo's Hamburgers for a rehearing on whether one of its restaurants could continue to operate as it has been: as a 1950s-style drive-in with roller-skating carhops.

Last month the city had told Angelo's owners that because of noise, litter and traffic problems they could operate the facility in the 200 block of North Beach Boulevard only as an enclosed restaurant.

But Angelo's, which is applying for new permits to be a drive-in and drive-through eatery, continues to operate as a walk-up and drive-in restaurant. The head of the city's code enforcement department has said that he plans to wait until Angelo's owners go through the application process before citing the facility for violations.

The city Planning Commission is scheduled to hear Angelo's request for the new permit on Feb. 18, the restaurant's attorney, Michelle Reinglass, said Tuesday.

Angelo's, which also has an older restaurant on State College Boulevard, has been at odds with the city since the new drive-in opened last year.

Residents living near the Beach Boulevard outlet have complained of noise and litter that they associate with the restaurant. Angelo's owners have countered that the problems are not generated by their customers or staff but instead are caused by rowdy crowds that gather at parking lots nearby.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|