Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Padres Cease Talks With Raines

January 24, 1987|TOM FRIEND | Times Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO — The Padres have temporarily ceased negotiating with free-agent outfielder Tim Raines, who wants $900,000 a year more than the team is willing to pay.

Raines' agent, Tom Reich, had asked for a three-year, $2-million annual contract, but the Padres on Thursday countered with a three-year offer worth $1.1 million annually.

Raines is the second free agent this week the Padres have told to "test the market." On Thursday, they ended negotiations with Atlanta's Bob Horner, who wanted a one-year deal worth $1.45 million.

The Padres offered Horner $1 million, plus incentive clauses.

Ballard Smith, Padre president, said Friday that he doesn't expect to hear from Reich soon.

"At this point, I think we're so far apart that there isn't anything to talk about," Smith said. "I think they'll have to go out and see what the market is. I think they're all overestimating the market. I think there's a bunch of guys (free agents) who made errors in judgment. They should have taken what their original clubs offered them, because I think it was more than they were worth."

Raines, who won the 1986 National League batting title, turned down a three-year, $4.8-million contract offered earlier this month by his most recent team, the Montreal Expos.

According to Smith, Reich--who was unavailable Friday--is saying he will not accept any deal lower than Montreal's offer.

Smith said he doubts that Reich will find better offers. He said negotiations could resume later.

The Atlanta Braves are next in line to talk with Raines. Bobby Cox, Brave general manager, called Reich Friday to find out how much Raines wants.

Cox, however, told Reich that the Braves are not prepared to make a counter offer.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|