About 3,600 students were evacuated from Fullerton College classrooms Monday in what began as a fire scare and turned out to be merely an overheated sump pump engine.
Al Bush, a college spokesman, said the odor of burning rubber was first reported about 10:30 a.m. in the Administration Building.
Campus maintenance workers surveyed the building and, because of considerable smoke, felt that a major transformer might have overheated, Bush said. The Fullerton Fire Department was summoned.
Bush said about 300 students evacuated classrooms in the Administration Building.
But by 2 p.m., as the odor and smoke continued to radiate out of vents, six more buildings on campus and about 3,300 people were evacuated, Bush said.