A 4-year-old San Diego boy who was abducted by armed gunmen one month ago was found safe and well early Monday morning in Tijuana by Mexican authorities.
Two men have been arrested in connection with the kidnaping, said FBI officials, who played a coordinating role in the investigation.
Francisco Sanchez Jr. was reunited with his parents Monday afternoon after authorities found him in a Tijuana home about 3:20 a.m.
The ordeal began when three masked gunmen kidnaped Sanchez and his father, also named Francisco, from their Nestor home in the early morning hours Feb. 3. The elder Sanchez was released two days later.
Being held by police in Tijuana are Gabino Cedano, 18, and Jaime Zarate, 23. Mexican authorities are seeking Gonzalo Gonzalez Corona, 33, FBI spokesman James Bolenbach said.
A fourth person, Araceli Sotelo, 26, also is being sought, Bolenbach said. She is a U.S. citizen and is believed to be Corona's girlfriend.
The kidnapers had demanded $50,000 from the Sanchez family.
Bolenbach said Mexican authorities had found Sanchez's car, which was used by the gunmen in the kidnaping, at a wrecking lot in Ensenada. Records showed that the car had been in an accident in Ensenada that involved Cedano, who was arrested this weekend, Bolenbach said.
Questioning of Cedano led police to the Tijuana home where the boy was found, and Zarate was arrested there.