NEW YORK — After interviewing a key figure in the Iran arms sales last December, ABC-TV journalist Barbara Walters passed some of his private statements on to the White House at his request.
In Washington, presidential spokesman Marlin Fitzwater said today that the White House received documents generally fitting that description.
Walters declined to detail the information she received from Manucher Ghorbanifar, the principal Iranian middleman for the arms sales, the Wall Street Journal reported. However, she said some of it dealt with alleged payments to Iranian officials.
For the President
Ghorbanifar asked that certain statements be sent to President Reagan, the newspaper said.
It quoted Walters as saying she felt it was important that the information reach the President, and she agreed to pass it on even though she "felt terrible." She also said she is preparing to broadcast information not disclosed in her Dec. 11 "20-20" interview with Ghorbanifar and Saudi businessman Adnan Khashoggi.
Fitzwater refused to say with certainty that the memos the White House received had been relayed by Walters and had reflected statements made by Ghorbanifar involving how money was handled, saying the memos bore no signatures and no dates.