YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Tips to Homeowners

April 26, 1987|Armand L. Fontaine

Question: Some months ago, you wrote about a counter-top dishwasher. I have forgotten the name of the product and where I can buy it.

Answer: The product is distributed by Water Inc. The firm also distributes a space-saving, compact washer/dryer combination, which is called the Comb-O-Matic Washer/Dryer. It is approximately 33 inches in height, 24 inches wide and 22 inches deep. The size makes it very convenient for apartments or smaller houses.

You can get more information from Water/Inc., 129 Arena St., El Segundo 90245-1227.

Q: I am considering having some cabinets made for my kitchen. However, I am concerned about emission of formaldehyde gas from particleboard or plywood.

A: Consider plywood made with exterior glue. It produces less formaldehyde emission and is less susceptible to damage and delamination from dampness around sinks and dishwashers than plywood made with interior glue.

Your supplier should be able to furnish you with the relatively new, low-formaldehyde particleboard. The grade stamps for these panels, which will include out-gassing information, will usually be on the material.

Most specifications call for "formaldehyde emission 0.2 parts per million." Most cabinet manufacturers today meet the federal emission standards.

Q.: When is the Pacific Coast Builders Conference held, and can members of the public attend? I understand their exhibits are tremendous.

A.: The conference will be held June 17-20 at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco. The program is restricted to industry members.

Los Angeles Times Articles