Restoration of a historic landmark cafe is in progress at 5330 E. Olympic Blvd. in East Los Angeles under joint development of TELACU (The East Los Angeles Community Union) and Stan Kandel of Dining Conceptions Inc., a founding partner of Spago restaurant in Beverly Hills.
Renamed del Fuego the original structure was built in 1927 and operated through the 1940s as the Ross Cafe, a popular family dining spot. It subsequently served as an office for the Department of Motor Vehicles, a print shop and home appliance business.
The 10,000-square-foot Spanish Colonial Revival structure is listed with the State Historic inventory and is adjacent to the TELACU Industrial Park.