YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Financial Planning: A Midyear Guide 1987 : part one: Planning Ahead : Choosing the Right Investment Coach

June 21, 1987|Bill Sing | Times Staff Writer

Confused about which stocks and bonds to buy? Need retirement planning advice? Don't know which mutual fund to invest in?

You might want to hire a financial planner, broker, money manager, accountant or other adviser. You may even want several advisers: an accountant to handle tax returns and tax planning, a money manager to handle stock and bond investments and a financial planner to coordinate your overall

financial strategy.

Of course, tapping such expertise has drawbacks. Good advisers are hard to find and not cheap. Also, advisers are not a cure-all. They can't replace your need to understand financial strategies and devise your own financial goals.

And advisers cannot make you rich quick. If an adviser tries to sell you something that sounds too good to be true, it probably is. "Some of them are real frauds," said Stephen R. Jones, vice president of law and policy for the Council of Better Business Bureaus.

The following will help you pick the right advisers:

Financial planners. A good financial planner can be your overall investment coach, providing general advice on taxes, budgeting, insurance and investments. He or she will write up a plan to help you achieve your financial goals in the broadest sense, followed by periodic meetings to monitor your progress.

Unfortunately, the field is laden with potential traps. The profession is relatively unregulated. Almost anyone can call himself or herself a financial planner; one man even registered his dog as one.

Richard Williams, spokesman for the International Assn. of Financial Planners, the field's largest trade group, estimates that only half of the up to 100,000 individuals calling themselves planners are qualified, having passed certain tests.

The field is also full of conflicts of interest. Many planners are primarily insurance agents or stockbrokers and may be biased toward those products.

Fees can also be expensive. Most planners are compensated through a combination of fees and commissions, although some are paid one way or the other exclusively. Those depending on commissions tend to charge less, but their advice is more biased.

Fee-only planners usually charge between $1,500 and $3,000 for devising a financial plan, depending on the complexity of your financial situation, said Merle E. Dowd, author of "A Consumer Guide to Financial Planning."

"There are not a lot of really good ones, and the really good ones are expensive," Dowd said. The minimum annual family income needed to make a planner worthwhile is $80,000, Dowd said. Otherwise, you're better off reading personal finance books and devising your own plan.

The best way to secure a planner is through referrals from trusted friends, accountants, lawyers or other experts.

A free directory of planners can be obtained from the International Assn. of Financial Planning at 2 Concourse Parkway, Suite 800, Atlanta, Ga. 30328. A list of certified financial planners is available from the Institute of Certified Financial Planners, 2 Denver Highlands, 10065 E. Harvard Ave., Suite 320, Denver, Colo. 80231-5942.

Interview at least three planners. Make sure they have some type of certification. Among the most respected are the certified financial planner designation, or CFP, and the chartered financial consultant, or ChFC.

Also ask them about their strengths and weaknesses, and whether they have experience in dealing with clients with financial situations similar to yours. Ask for references of clients and copies of plans they have prepared for people like you. And ask how they are compensated. Have them show you their sources of commissions. If they won't, find another planner.

Accountants and tax practitioners. Accountants and other tax practitioners not only can help prepare your tax returns, but can also provide year-round tax-saving advice.

If your income is relatively low and your returns are generally simple, you could get adequate advice from any of several tax-preparation books on the market. Or go to a storefront tax-preparation chain such as H&R Block. Its fees average about $50.

For complex returns, see a certified public accountant specializing in taxes. Their hourly fees range between $50 and $150, although fees are generally lower at smaller firms, which also are more receptive to serving individuals with lower incomes.

As is the case with finding other experts, the best referrals for accountants come from friends or other trusted associates with situations similar to yours. Lacking such referrals, you can flip through the Yellow Pages, although the listings won't indicate which CPAs are experts in tax preparation.

Interview several accountants before selecting one. Find out about their background and experience, their fee structures and their tax-planning strategies.

Also find out who will actually prepare your return. At many larger firms, the person who works on your return often is a lower-ranking employee, not the CPA you initially talked to.

Los Angeles Times Articles