Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Taking No Prisoners to Devil's Island

June 21, 1987|VERNA HARRINGTON and BOB HARRINGTON | The Harringtons are Fullerton free-lance writers. and

DEVIL'S ISLAND, French Guiana — It was two days after Christmas, but at 8 in the morning the day was already hot and humid. We were a couple of hundred miles north of the Equator, our ship heading south along the east coast of South America.

Suddenly a helicopter buzzed us, the French tricolor showing on its underside. Like a gull from shore, it assured us that we were close to the morning's port of call at Devil's Island.

Yes, that Devil's Island, the "dry guillotine." Our ship veered slightly to starboard, the helmsman giving the triangular group of islands a wide berth as he threaded a treacherous current.

Occupied in Desperation

Les Iles du Salut (Isles of Salvation) are eight miles off the French Guiana mainland and southeast of Venezuela. Devil, St. Joseph and Royale islands were originally occupied in desperation.

In the 1760s, France, having been stripped of much of its colonial empire in the Americas by Britain, decreed that Guiana, an area the size of South Carolina, be populated. King Louis XV sent 12,000 people, mostly Alsatians, to start the colony.

Decimated by an epidemic of yellow fever, the few who could do so went to the three nearby islands, their "islands of salvation." They named them for their king, the saint under whose guidance they had sailed, and the devil, for who else could be responsible for the fierce tides and hungry sharks surrounding the islands?

In the mid-1800s, French prisoners, who had been used as galley slaves until the advent of the steamship, were sent to French Guiana by Louis Napoleon, thereby establishing a penal colony. Prisoners who tried to escape the mainland colony were sent to Devil's Island because of its presumably escape-proof currents.

In time, devil's island became a generic term representing all the penal colonies, including those on the mainland.

Devil's Island, or Ile Diable, is about 400 by 1,200 yards; it rises 50 feet above the sea. Like the other islands, it is lush and covered with coconut palm trees. As a prison site, its most recent inhabitants were political prisoners. Named deportes, they were banished for life.

The island's most widely publicized prisoner was probably army Capt. Alfred Dreyfus who, in 1895, was sentenced for supplying Germany with war secrets. He stayed on the island for four years.

The furor created by Emile Zola's article, " J'accuse ," published in 1898, which accused the military of deliberate fabrication, undoubtedly was instrumental in Dreyfus being returned to France where he was eventually exonerated and rejoined the army with the rank of major.

A more recent detainee was Henri Charriere, convicted in 1931 for a murder he denied committing. After several unsuccessful escape attempts from the colony on the mainland, and time in solitary confinement on St. Joseph, he was sent to Devil's Island. The motion picture "Papillon," with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman, grew out of the story.

It is said that Devil's Island housed no more than a dozen men at any time. Compared to the other prisoners, the deportes led a fairly easy life. Each had his own stone hut. They were given meat several times a week, and wine. They had the run of the island and suffered no corporal punishment. Rather, their punishment was in boredom--the loneliness and the knowledge that they would never be allowed to return home.

Solitary Confinement

But St. Joseph was reserved for those who made repeated attempts to escape from the mainland colony. The usual punishment: solitary, round-the-clock blackness, sometimes for years.

Our destination was Ile Royale, which has a small harbor. Royale, the administrative center for the island group, housed the "incos" (incorrigibles)--the worst of the thieves. The prison director lived there, along with the guards. It housed the bakery, the foundry, a hospital and chapel, and a swimming pool for the guards.

Our ship anchored well outside the shallow harbor. We went ashore by tender, our fellow passengers quiet and pensive. A large, two-story concrete building had been the processing office for all the newcomers.

We studied the heavy iron gate, the barred window openings; we realized with a start that men had been sent there well within the lifetimes of most of today's visitors. We labored up a well-worn but overgrown footpath, stopping occasionally to catch our breath in 90-degree heat with humidity to match.

As we rested, slowly fanning ourselves, we became conscious of a singsong humming. These, we were told, were tree frogs. We didn't see any, but their humming was with us until we left the island.

Perspiration saturated us before we reached a plateau several hundred feet high. The first building was the chapel; it appeared to be in excellent condition. Because it was locked, we continued across a field while admiring the colorful flowers, ferns, palms, emerald vines and bushes.

Surgery Scene

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|