Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Manila to Accuse Enrile of Illegally Acquiring Stocks Under Marcos Rule

July 22, 1987|Associated Press

MANILA — The government will file a civil suit against Juan Ponce Enrile, who helped depose Ferdinand E. Marcos, for allegedly taking part in official corruption during Marcos' rule, an official said today.

Mary Concepcion Bautista, a member of the Presidential Commission on Good Government, said the suit will accuse Enrile of illegally acquiring shares in Philippine Communications & Satellite, Inc., and the United Coconut Planters Bank.

The panel has already filed five suits against Marcos and his associates, seeking the return of billions of dollars in government funds that they allegedly pilfered during his 20 years in power. Three suits filed Tuesday named 11 more defendants.

Enrile was the Marcos defense minister who revolted in February, 1986, sparking a popular uprising that sent Marcos into exile and Corazon Aquino into the presidential palace. Enrile, a Harvard-trained lawyer, later was fired from the Aquino Cabinet after troops loyal to him were implicated in a failed coup attempt.

Bautista told a Manila newspaper that the commission found documents last year linking Enrile to various questionable business dealings but held off on pursuing the case because he was "a man who had risked his life to topple the dictator."

There was no immediate comment from Enrile.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|