OXNARD — Raider rookie camp opened Wednesday without three of the top four picks: No. 1 John Clay, No. 2 Bruce Wilkerson and No. 4 Steve Beuerlein, all still unsigned. The No. 3 pick, fullback Steve Smith of Penn State, agreed to terms earlier in the day and reported on time.
Clay and Wilkerson are offensive linemen. Wilkerson's agent, Neal Allen, says he expects his client to play a lot this season and is asking to be paid appropriately.
Allen says he expects his client to play because the Raiders have asked two of their veterans to retire.
"From what I understand, Mickey Marvin and Henry Lawrence were asked not to come back to camp," Allen said.
Lawrence, 35, is a 14-year pro, a Pro Bowl pick in '83-84, who lost his starting right tackle job to Shelby Jordan late last season.
Marvin, 31, is an 11-year veteran who started all season at right guard and, reportedly, was graded second on the line only to center Don Mosebar over the season. However, with Chris Riehm, Charley Hannah, Bill Lewis and Curt Marsh, the Raiders have a logjam at guard, too. They usually keep only eight offensive linemen.