Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJudges

Chief Justice Lucas Back at Work After Colon Surgery

September 01, 1987|PHILIP HAGER | Times Staff Writer

SAN FRANCISCO — Chief Justice Malcolm M. Lucas returned to his office at the state Supreme Court on Monday, nearly six weeks after successful surgery to remove a malignant growth from his colon.

A court spokeswoman said the 60-year-old chief justice was "hard at work" full time "and feels fine." Among other things, Lucas was preparing for the court's regular monthly oral argument calendar, to be heard next week.

After the operation July 22, Lucas recuperated at home, working part time on court business but canceling a vacation he had planned to take during the latter part of August, Lynn Holton, the court public information officer, said.

"He ended up resting at home," she said.

A few days ago, Lucas dropped by court offices here, checking informally on several matters, Holton said. While Lucas was absent, other justices rotated as acting chief justice.

Lucas, in addition to his court duties, has scheduled several public appearances in the next few weeks. Among other things, he is to speak Sept. 20 at the annual meeting of the State Bar of California in Los Angeles.

It was announced at the time of the operation that Lucas had undergone "successful abdominal surgery" for an undisclosed ailment that was "not life threatening."

On July 31, the court announced that a two-hour operation had been performed to remove a partially malignant polyp from Lucas' colon.

His physicians said that there was no evidence of spread of the malignancy and that Lucas is expected to make "a full and complete recovery." No further treatment is required, although he will be examined annually, they said.

Lucas himself characterized the event as "just one of life's little character-building experiences."

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|