The first new permanent medical research building of Research and Education Institute Inc. at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center will be dedicated Sept. 17 at 1:30 p.m. on the hospital grounds, 1124 W. Carson St.
The two-story, $3-million building is the first of several the institute plans to build, eventually replacing the World War II-era barracks that have housed the institute since 1952.
Two more buildings are in planning stages. The institute, a nonprofit corporation affiliated with Harbor-UCLA, administers more than 400 medical research and education projects.
The new building will be named for Dr. Walter P. Martin, a Long Beach internist who was the first chairman of the institute's research committee, serving from 1952 to 1972. He has been a clinical professor of medicine at the UCLA School of Medicine since 1956. The building will house groups researching maternal and fetal medicine, endocrinology, metabolism and nutrition. It also will include centers for population research and male reproductive research.