Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFans

Newswire

September 22, 1987

Some Cincinnati Bengal fans called for the firing of Coach Sam Wyche because of the Bengals' last-second 27-26 loss Sunday to the San Francisco 49ers.

Wyche said he had only himself to blame for the defeat.

Bengal fans, who watched their team blow a 26-20 lead in the final two seconds, were inclined to agree with him.

In response to an informal telephone-in poll conducted by Cincinnati radio station WLW, 61%--or 477--of the 775 fans who called said Wyche should be fired. The remaining 39% said he should be retained.

Wyche elected to have running back James Brooks carry the football on a sweep with six seconds left Sunday to run out the clock, but Brooks was stopped with two seconds remaining. San Francisco quarterback Joe Montana then threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to receiver Jerry Rice over Cincinnati rookie cornerback Eric Thomas, and kicker Ray Wersching's extra point won the game.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|